Wednesday 23 January 2013

The first thoughts

So here we are. Here I am. I couldn't sleep much this past night, so had a few hours to think up a plan. I need to help S. quit smoking. It can no longer be postponed.

Here is the deal. S. smokes one pack a day. "20 blue Camels, please". I think he now smokes more, perhaps a pack and a half a day. He denies this increase in his daily portion, but actually, it makes no difference whether it is 20 or 30, or howevermany. It is simply way too much.

I am writing this blog as I am trying to devise a good plan to help him. To help in the process of getting rid of an addiction. I want to keep record of what we are doing. I will write down my plans and observations. There are so many uncertainties, so many fears. These too will be recorded.

I know it won't be easy and I know it won't be nice either. What I will make sure is that it will be fun. As much fun as we possibly can have while we are at it.

I also have another reason to write this blog. I want other people to read about the struggle and hopefully learn from it. I am Hungarian, but I thought writing in English might help reach a wider audience.

I have no idea how all this will play out. The goal is for S. to quit smoking. Not reduce it, but kiss the habit goodbye. While I am writing this I hear the flick of the lighter in the other room. Well, of course, it's just another day. But you see, now I am confident I want him to stop smoking. I am angry at this addiction and I am tired of inhaling all the smoke. I don't see it as a funny little habit anymore.

It's an experiment. It will most certainly require my best efforts and my persistence. I can no longer be lazy. No more going with the flow. I need to make plans and follow them through. So in a way, this blog will be about me, too.

Thus the goal has been set, here it is, in writing. S. needs to quit smoking and I am going to help him. All the way. Wish him me luck (break a leg, etc.). Wish us luck.

Kiss Smoking Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment