Thursday 7 February 2013

The 4. Day

This is the "candy" he bought. They're called Nicotine Lozenges (from Sainsbury's), and have Peppermint taste. It's a 12 week programme, with decreasing amounts of nicotine for every step. They are calling it medicine.

Their recommended dosage:
Step 1 – Weeks 1 to 6: Initial treatment period. 1 lozenge every 1 to 2 hours. 
Step 2 – Weeks 7 to 9: Step down treatment period. 1 lozenge every 2 to 4 hours. 
Step 3 – Weeks 10 to 12: Step down treatment period. 1 lozenge every 4 to 8  
hours. 

There are two types of this, the 4 mg and the 2 mg. He bought the 4 mg, and although it is more nicotine, it probably be be more helpful to him. You can't just go from 20-30 to 0. Or at least I don't think you can.

S. says it's working for him very well. He has tried patches and gums in the past, neither worked at all. He sucks on these tablets and gets the nicotine fast. I hope it stays this way. He is visibly, strikingly much calmer.

xxxxx

To continue with the gifts, last night I gave him a bag of nougat, which he loves. He of course said that he cannot switch to sweets instead of cigarettes. But he did have some of it and loved it. Of course eating more and eating more sweets is not the solution. I know a lot of people turn to food when they try to quit and gain a lot of weight. That's another urge you need to hold back on. Especially, as you really need some true oral pleasure instead of this oral pleasure that's been taken away from you.

xxxxx

S. told me the difference between smokers and nonsmokers is that smokers can satisfy their needs straight away and with ease, whereas nonsmokers suppress their needs. Well, not sure I agree, as I am not familiar with the urge to smoke. And I rarely have the urge to drink a lot either. But yes, I prohibit myself from eating a mountain of chocolate, cookies, brownies and cupcakes every day. It is quite hard. And this too is an addiction, though slightly different, and one which does not need to be satisfied 20 times a day.

xxxxx

There was an event I wanted to go to tonight. Should I leave him alone on the evening of the 4th day? Well, I thought, best is to ask. He said go ahead and go. Had he said no, I would have stayed home with him. When I got home, he was working on his laptop, sitting in the usual position by the coffee table. It was the same position but the room was not filled with smoke. It had a very pleasant new smell.







No comments:

Post a Comment